Once again, they were right! Last week, Shepherd’s Bush Overground station opened its doors for the very first time. Today, Shepherd’s Bush Central line station finally reopened. So I thought it would be nice to check out the new rebuilt and refurbished station for myself.
The station platforms are not 100% complete as evidenced on the walls on the trackside, they haven’t finished the paintwork and have put up temporary roundel signs for the time being. Hopefully this will be finished very soon. The ticket hall is specious and very huge indeed, it is more than double the capacity it was before and the station has a very airy feel to it! Here are a few photos I took while there this evening…
1. The new Shepherd’s Bush Underground Roundel on a new white and blue tiling
2. As you can see, the electronic indicator boards are not fully in operation yet, and the trackside walls are in need of painting
3. The eastern side of the platform, you can clearly see both sides.
4. Both platforms taken from the eastern side of the platforms
5. The blue tiling (but notice evidence of the old platform wall behind!)
6. The brand new escalators
7. The spacious ticket hall
8. The ticket hall taken from the outside of the station
9. Shepherd’s Bush Overground station on the other side, today though it is closed
10. The main entrance of the new built station
11. Glass has been heavily used to reveal the new escalators
All in all, they have done a good job indeed ready for the opening of Westfield Shopping Centre at the end of this month. Lifts were in the original plan, but none have been installed…and the council are hoping that it will accomodated in the near future…let’s hope Shepherd’s Bush Central line station eventually becomes a step free access station just like it’s Overground one.
Now with two stations opened, it is now waiting for Wood Lane station to open, which is reported to open next Sunday (12th October). We’ll just have to wait and see!
Have you visited the new station? What do you think? Let me know!